I try to apply colors like words that shape poems, like notes that shape music. ”
– Joan Miro
Fun Facts about Joan Miro
- Joan Miro was born in 1893 and lived until he was 90 Years old!
- He has recorded art pieces beginning at age 8 years old! That means he made art for 82 years!!
- He had his first solo art show when he was only 18 years old
- He worked with and was influenced by surrealist artists
- He didn’t just paint, but liked to work with many mediums: sculpture, engraving, watercolors, fibers, lithographs and pastels.
- Now it’s time to create your own art work inspired by Joan Miró
- His most important work was made from age 60-age 90!
A few years ago, I had the chance to visit The Joan Miro Foundation in Barcelona. Big color, big weaving, big fun awaited behind the whitewashed walls. I was struck not just by the whimsical nature, but the scale: there were so many huge works of art. It made me think about being bold and brave in creating art. taking risks, throwing caution to the wind: playing with color and paint and shapes. SO that’s what I decided to do for this art lesson: play a game!
Grab your color-makers (markers, paint, crayons, etc) and play along with me!
Loads of you got in on the action: Sherwin sent in his fun picture to share with you, and my boys couldn’t resist making art even after the lesson!
If you play MAKE art with us and Miro- send your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add to this gallery! Have fun!
So go be Miro: play with art today!